Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Inspired

Last night, I attended a lecture by Jeannette Walls author of the memoir The Glass Castle. We had read the book in my book club before we knew the author was going to be speaking in Omaha. Several of us journeyed to the Joslyn Art Museum for the speaking engagement.

I was very inspired by Jeannette's lecture (I feel if we had talked, we would be on a first name basis because she's cool like that). It reminded me of some things I've forgotten this past year. I've always viewed myself as a very strong person and have never been angry or bitter about any of my past because it has shaped me into the woman I am today (and I pretty much rock). With all of the drama of the past year, I had lost that perspective. Jeannette helped me find it again.

She had several messages, but the one that touched me the most was that we all have a past and perceive that past in different ways. Whether rich or poor, there are hardships in life. The lucky few are, "able to pick ourselves up" from those hardships and if we are really lucky, we are "able to pick up others." That is when the light bulb went off for me. I can pick myself up. I've done it before and I will certainly have to do it again in the future. Only after I pick myself up can I pick up others.

Thanks, Jeannette. I needed to hear your message. Thanks for coming all the way to Omaha to find me.

1 comments:

Tim and Merri said...

That's awesome. When I'm done with the twilight books I'm going to check out her book. Happy Friday!!!